The Office of Engaged Scholarship & Learning supports two awards: The Engaged Scholar Award for Undergraduate Research and The Engaged Scholar Award for Creative Works. These awards provide you with the opportunity to fund original academic research or creative works project. Receiving an ESA will help you:
  • Gain real-world experience. Develop a new project by submitting a formal project proposal.
  • Experience one-on-one mentoring. Work directly with a faculty mentor to map out your project step-by-step.
  • Apply your skills. Achieve project goals through rigor beyond what you may encounter in a classroom setting alone.
  • Build your CV, Résumé, or Portfolio. Present your project to a public audience to gain experience, exposure, and credibility in your field of study.
Prior to submitting your online proposal, carefully read the ESA Policies. To assist you in completing this application, complete the ESA Workbook prior to beginning this online application. 
Faculty interested in having CTE review their course will need to submit an official service learning designation application. To complete this form, you will need:
  • Course details (course number, title, and CRN for each course section to be designated, class meeting style)
  • Semester(s) which course is usually taught with service learning
  • Community partner details (who identifies - student or faculty, service learning project themes, community partner themes)
  • A syllabus for the course
See Developing a Learner-Centered Syllabus at or Service Learning website at

For questions, please contact the Center for Teaching Excellence at